1. Keep your new tattoo bandaged for 2-12 hours.
2. Wash your hands before removing bandage. Wash tattoo with warm water and anti-bacterial soap. Tattoo should be cleaned until it is no longer slimy or glazed. Do not scrub or use washcloth on tattoo until completely healed.
3. Pat until tattoo is dry. Do not rub. Let your tattoo air dry for at least 10 minutes.
4. Apply a very light coat of ointment (A&D or Aquaphor). Clean your tattoo using this procedure 5-7 times per day. Remember to always wash your hands before you clean the tattoo. Remember to re-apply ointment.
5. After 3 days, stop using the ointment. Use a fragrance-free lotion or cream. Apply to tattoo at least 3 times per day, or more often if needed. Rub the lotion or cream in thoroughly, and always use clean washed hands.
Repeat this procedure until the tattoo is no longer dry or shiny.
-DO NOT expose tattoo to sunlight for at least 2 weeks or until tattoo is healed.
-DO NOT pick at or scratch new tattoos. This will cause damage to the design. If it itches apply more lotion or cream. Average healing time is 7-14 days.
-DO NOT soak tattoo in water (bathing or swimming) for at least 2 weeks or until healed.
If you work out (esp. cardiovascular or aerobic) take some time off. Profuse sweating has the same effect on new tattoos as soaking in water.
MORE TIPS FOR A BETTER TATTOO:
To preserve your tattoo, once it is healed, apply sun block to tattoo if it will be exposed to the sun.
Wear loose clothing that can allow your healing tattoo to breathe.